Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hoss the Boss


Recently, Hoss and I were having a conversation. I told him that he is a "non-contributor". That is, he does not help around the house. He never washes his dish, does not laundry his blanket, never sweeps up his hair (millions), and never picks up his toys - except to play with them. Further more, I told him, he makes messes, does not prepare his own meals, and expects us to wait on him by walking him on a regular basis. Hoss, ole boy, you seem to be a taker and not a giver. The look you see is the look I received. Frankly, I think he was thinking - "food, food, food - give me some food". So, why do we keep him? Why do we continue to wait on him, sometimes with glee - "Come on, Hoss, lets go for a walk"!


There is something inexplicable about coming home and being greeted at the door by 80 pounds of exuberance. Jumping, licking, running - smiling??? We read into his actions his saying to us "I'm so glad to see you, I'm so glad to see you". Call me cynical, he probably is thinking "food, food, this is when I get food". He is hilarious, when he is not sleeping which is about 80% of the time. And, he does tricks - shake, roll-over, stand-up, sit - all for food. I guess he offers us some protection, especially against the rabbits that he sees in our yard. I guarantee our family will never be held hostage by rabbits as long as Hoss is around. There is something about how willing he is, no matter how stern he has been rebuked, to come back as warmly as ever. He never seems to hold a grudge, has never been ill tempered, does not gripe, is never petty, and is willing to put up with all sorts of shenanigans. In the long run, I guess he contributes plenty. But, I really do wish he could run a vacuum.

3 comments:

Drew said...

A dog run vacuum, million dollar idea?? I also like how you worked shenanigans into a post, even if it was spelled wrong.

Paul Thomason said...

I fixed it! If the idea works, you get a 1/3 of the inheritance.

Wendy Graham said...

Just thought I'd let you know my daughter was really listening to the sermon this week. We left and she said, "Do you know what I really, REALLY want? A cat" so what did we do today, went to the humane society and rescued a beautiful 13 yr old Hemalyan cat. I don't think that's exactly what you were referring to, but she believes she is caring for Gods creatures by rescuing the kitty. Anyway, I have sure been enjoying the words that God has given you to speak in the past few weeks, they have really been causing me to examine my life and works for the Lord. Thanks