Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pastoral Tension!


There was a cartoon in a magazine called "Leadership" that sticks in my mind. A pastor is sitting in his office preparing a sermon with a guilty look on his face. He is thinking "I should be out spending time with my people". The next panel shows the pastor balancing a coffee cup on his knee visiting with a dear senior saint in her home and he is thinking "I should be in my office preparing my sermon"! I know the feeling.

Every week I go through the dilemma of seeking to balance preparation and personal ministry. Right now, I am a bit over commited on the preparation side. Sunday A.M. and P.M., Wednesday P.M., and teaching a seminary class Thursday P.M. requires a lot of office time. But, I find when I spend too much time in the office I begin to become dull (perhaps the correct word is "duller") and lethargic. I love the people at our church. It is energizing to be with them. Visiting with them gives me perspective. It keeps me humble and helps me to understand how to apply the text.

Today is Wednesday. I have made 5 visits since Saturday. Some of them fairly long. I am feeling the tension. Sunday is looming. Tonight is looming! The question is, of course, what am I doing writing on this blog when I could be studying? Why am I studying when I should be visiting? And, what about praying, being with my family, getting a haircut, and raking leaves! Tension, we all live with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree totally. I don't have all the preperation, but I can understand the stress of trying to balance work and life. Its hard to get everything done in the day and spend time with the family, the grandparents, etc. Why do we all have to be so so busy?