Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Dear Deer


Dear Deer,

Dear me. You have caused quite a stir. For some reason you have adopted our church property as your residence. Some see it as a miracle, a sign. Of what, I am not sure. I do not sense any increased "blessing" since you showed up. Now, if tomorrow, someone walked in and paid our church building off, then I might change my mind. In fact, I still think you (please don't take offense) might be a goat. My grandpa raised goats and you bear a striking resemblance to them. But, you don't smell like them. Regardless, Dear Deer, I would tell you to be careful. For one thing, you are way too trusting. You let us get too close and I fear that one day someone will want to get close to decide whether White Deer is as tasty as Brown Deer. And then there is highway. Cars and Semi Trucks are not your friends. Stay far, far away from them. Someone talked about trying to capture you and put you in a pen as curiosity for folks to come and see. Somehow that seems to take the joy out of things.

I would suggest, Dear Deer, that you lay as low as possible. You are easy to spot, so try to keep a very low profile. Stay away from people wearing camo, don't be drawn to bright lights at night, and be wary of folks bearing gifts of corn.

Thanks for coming to see us.

Sincerely,

Paul Thomason

No comments: