Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Rain

I love rain. Frankly, and this is dangerous to say, I would rather have too much than too little. Yes, I have had my basement flooded and had to rip out carpet and tear out walls. And, certainly, I don't wish a flood on anyone. I was in western Illinois by the Mississippi River in 93. The devastation was breath taking. But, when there is too little the earth becomes parched and barren. It is as if the wind itself becomes a moan emanating from the planet for rain. And, when it comes, it comes as refreshment unmatched. When it has been dry and rains, it makes you want to run outside and dance in it and lift your face and let it run down your chin.


And, I love thunderstorms. Sorta. I don't like it when people or property are damaged in storms. But, I love a hot and dry day that ends with a cacophony of sound and fury and downpours of liquid cool. And, as quickly as it begins it ends and the day has been transformed in a moment. Where it was hot and buggy and stifling - it is now cool and clean and relaxing. And, there are no firework shows on the planet that can match a good summer thunderstorm for its intensity and pure excitement.

The Bible describes rain as a blessing from God. It is used as an example of His common grace. It rains on the just and the unjust. Showers of blessings, showers of blessings we need, mercy drops round us are falling, but for the showers we plead! Words to an old gospel song that describe rain as a symbol of the goodness of God coming to us.

No comments: