Friday, July 10, 2009

Unexpected Blessings


Through a series of apparently mundane events, I ended up spending some up close and personal time with a World War 2 warbird - a F6F Hellcat - a rare bird indeed. Very, very few are flying these days. They were the scourge of the Japanese in the battle for the Pacific. And, one dropped into the neighborhood - Rantoul - and a dear friend and brother (Eric Johnson) knew someone who knew someone and knew me. Together we all got to spend some time drooling on and in the plane. For me, it was a rare opporutnity to have a very tactile experience with a piece of machinery that I find exhilerating - representing a time that I find amazing. For others, not so much. But, it came "out of the blue". And, blessings often do just that - arrive unexpected, unanticipated, unplanned. I just want to be sure that my radar is on and I am grateful when they do and seek to be grateful when they don't. Perhaps some would argue that the God of the universe could care not one bit whether or not I sat in the cockpit of a Navy plane responsible for helping win WW2. I completely understand the thought and don't want to attribute to God more than He has promised. But, be it a note from a long lost friend, a $5.00 bill at the bottom of a sock drawyer, a rain shower at just the right time - all are gifts of His grace. And, I want to thank Him for them.

No comments: