Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Growing Up Poor

It seems to me that a recent theme of politicians is to proclaim how poor their parents were.  More often than not, candidates declare that their parents or grandparents immigrated to this country and rose up from the ashes of poverty to make something of themselves.  It is a commendable story.  But, it is not an uncommon story.  Most of us who are now middle-aged could probably repeat the same account.  I know that I could.  Both of my parents grew up very poor.  But, lots of Americans were very poor in the 20s and 30s.  The "Great Depression" was as devastating as it was wide spread.  The years following the second world war provided economic opportunity.  My mother became a nurse and my father became a fireman in the Air Force.  Both had "successful" careers and retired much more financially comfortable than their parents.  As a result, my brother and I grew up with a lot more than did my parents.  

Did my parents live the "American Dream"?  Yes, if that dream is one of being more prosperous than their parents or grandparents.  Did they work hard to provide a better lifestyle for their kids?  Again, I am grateful to say "yes".  I am very thankful for what they provided.  I had and have opportunities they did not have and I don't take those for granted.

But, to hear it told these days, financial prosperity or at least the opportunity to obtain financial prosperity is the greatest thing America has going for it.  It is arrogant for someone who has not lived in grinding poverty and felt the effects of hunger, lack of medical care, and unsafe housing to say that he hopes we have something more to offer the world than money and the opportunity to make it.  But, I do hope such a thing. Without character, money can become terribly corrupting.  

Here is a photo of the house my Mom grew up in until she was a teenager.  It did not look much better than this when she lived there.


No comments: