Monday, February 16, 2009

Weddings and Marriage


Someone recently asked me how many weddings I have performed in the 23+ years I have been a pastor. Good question. Early on, I did not keep records as well I do now. My estimate would be between 50 and 60. That is not a lot, considering the 23 years of ministry. Interestingly, they come in waves. This winter has been a busy one with a wedding a month: December, January, and February and a vow renewal in January. And, thankfully, the weather cooperated every time. Each ceremony was different and each was beautiful and an honor to be a part of.

The first wedding I did was July 11th, 1986 - a year into being a pastor. I do remember the ceremony was held in a building that was not air conditioned and that the temperature was about 101 degrees. I also remember standing in front of the bride and groom and having an out-of-body experience as I was speaking while thinking to myself how interesting it was to see the make-up of the bride run off of her face.

Through the years I have had a few people faint. That is always exciting - having someone keel over during the ceremony. Thankfully, no one has ever thrown up though a few have threatened. I have been amazed that I have never had to miss a wedding because of my own illness. I have an ongoing dream that I am unable to get everything together on the day of a wedding and am late. I have forgotten to "pronounce" a couple as husband and wife. Were they?I have forgotten to have couples sign the marriage license - were they married??? In the eyes of the Lord, yes. In the eyes of the state, I don't know. I enjoy the pre-martial counseling more than the ceremony itself, only because getting all the pieces right in the ceremony is a bit nerve wracking. I have witnessed heated arguments before weddings - often involving extended family and the role they may or may not have at the wedding. No one has ever asked me to sing at a wedding or dance at the reception.

Doing outside weddings is always interesting. The setting is often beautiful but the risks can be significant. Weather does not always cooperate and neither do the bugs. One outside wedding seemed to be the equivalent to one of the Mosaic plagues. Bugs are attracted to perfume.

The first thing I do when I walk out to perform a wedding is scan the crowd for my wife. Seeing her brings a sense of calm to me. And, every wedding makes me think of my own and how blessed I am. My hope for every groom is that he finds in his wife the joy and delight I have found in mine.

Doing weddings is a real privilege. The longer I do them, the more honored I am that I am asked to do them. And, I look forward to doing more in the future.




No comments: