Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Memories

My brother recently made this picture available to me.  The memories flooded back when I saw it.  J. D. Ford owned the store.  He and his wife were part of our lives because the store was such an essential part of our existence.  My parents did not buy all of their groceries there, but they did buy a lot of milk and ice cream and cola and chicken feed.  The Ford's allowed us to have a running tab which my dad paid at the end of each month. Occasionally, I could charge a cream soda or a moon pie.  The front porch of the store was a great place to hang out and hear the local news.  There was a post office inside the store where we received our mail.  And, we bought most of our gas there.  It saddened me to see the store close and then be torn down.  The Fords are now with the Lord; they were wonderful Christian people.  Many of the general stores like this one no longer exist.  We buy our groceries and gas from people we don't know.  And, who sits on a front porch to drink a coke and visit?   I am very grateful for those memories.

1 comment:

Larry said...

I grew up in town, but we went to a country church and a store like the Ford's was next door. That store is also gone and now everyone drives down the paved highway to town to shop, but I don't think they can find a place to sit on a bench and visit and drink a cola.