Thursday, August 9, 2012

Musuem


On our recent 30th anniversary trip, my wife insisted that we stop at the Robbins AFB museum just outside of Macon, Georgia.  No matter where we go she seems to be able to sniff out these collections of airplanes.  She compels me to stop - and then finds a shade tree where she can read a good book.  I am left to peruse the artifacts of the museum all alone - not something I particularly enjoy.  It would be much better were she by my side - sighing the whole time, looking at her watch, and trying not to fall asleep on her feet.  Her enjoyment and ecstasy is almost uncontrollable at airplane museums.

If your wife loves air plane museums, I would encourage you to stop at the one by Robbins AFB.  They have a wonderful collection.  It is one of the cleanest museums in which I have been and the people who volunteer/work there are wonderful.

If you get there soon after they open - which is when Connie really wanted to be there - you have the whole museum practically to yourself.  It was a bit lonely walking among all of these amazing airplanes without anyone sighing or rushing me, but, I figured that I would do it - for her.

I happen to like museums as well.  It is intriguing to get up close and personal with all sorts of things - in this case very complex machines that did some very amazing things.  But, there is also a certain melancholy at a museum.  These are stabled horses which will never roam the ranges again.  Churches must not become museums   They can - if we do not allow the Spirit to have His way with us.  He brings life - and that more abundantly.

Here is one last photo of Connie joyfully standing near a B-1B - at least that is what she told me it was.  Doesn't she look happy?

1 comment:

Barb Roth said...

Awwww...Connie puts me to shame. I guess I'd better start ferreting out those tractor pulls and antique tractor shows.