Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Breakfast


This morning I went to breakfast at Percfection Coffee House here in Gibson. It is a cool place to eat though not my usual breakfast hangout. My practice is to eat breakfast out once a week. It is my favorite meal restaurant meal. What smells better than bacon frying in the morning? The vast majority of times it is with another man whom I am either wanting to get to know better or with whom I need to discuss concerns within the church.

There is something about getting up and out as the world around me is waking up. I usually walk to where I eat breakfast. It takes me ten minutes and by the time I get to the restaurant I am wide awake. By the time I am done with breakfast I am so wired from drinking coffee that I need to walk home just to calm down. At home I drink two cups a coffee in the morning. When I eat out I drink two gallons of coffee in the morning.

Today I had the joy of having breakfast with my oldest son. I was deeply humbled. For one thing, and some of you know what I mean, we talked as man to man. That is a significant transition for both of us. Not that our conversation was necessarily "deep" or that we forgot we were son and father. And, he asked me my perspective on some concerns in his life. I have had to fight offering up too much advice and trying to be a fix-it person. The Lord has been teaching me to wait on Him. I was very pleased and humbled (forgive the repetition) that Drew would ask.

Go out to breakfast. Watch the world wake up over a plate of bacon and eggs. Spend the early part of a day conversing with someone you love. Don't worry about the cholesterol. Enjoy the glory of a sunrise and the pleasure of the food and bless God for His goodness in your life.

No comments: