Monday, October 12, 2009

ISS Up and Away


The light streak in the center of the picture just above the trees, is the International Space Station. I asked my oldest son, who is currently working as a photographer, to shoot the picture for me. It was taken on May 29th of this year. I enjoy watching it pass over and try to imagine what the people are doing aboard it. Reading? E-mailing loved ones? Sleeping? Looking down at me looking up at them?

The ISS orbits the earth every 90 minutes at an altitude of approxmiately 200 miles. It is a little over 12,000 square feet of living space that travels at over 7,000 mph. This is not your typical RV. Would you consider this the ultimate escape? The view is awesome. The setting is ultimately unique. It is a bit pricey. I think the Russians charge $51 million a seat for a trip on the Soyuz to the ISS. I am not sure what that works out to per night, but it is more expensive than Motel 6. The station is not yet complete. I have read that it is the most expensive object ever constructed, with a cost between 35 to 160 billion dollars. And, it is easy to see at night with the naked eye. Some folks have spotted it during the day time. It is bright, very bright.

Reminds me - let your light shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in heaven. The ISS is bright, but it does not "produce" the light, it merely reflects it. (Someone may argue that point) The light seen from it originates with the sun. A good deal of what we see is reflected from the solar panels. And so with believers. We are to reflect the Light. The Light of the world is Jesus.







No comments: