Monday, May 10, 2010

Sunday Night Basketball and Gravity - Wake Up!


For the past month I have had the privilege of teaching a group of High School young men.  They are an invigorating group.  It has been a lot of fun - for me at least.

After class, most of the high schoolers and some college students play basketball and I have been invited to play with them.  In doing so I have made a discovery of which the world should be aware.  Gravity is steadily increasing.  The pull of gravity is growing and I am living to see the effects it is having!  There was a time when I could jump and hang onto the rim.  I never could dunk the ball, but I could grab the rim.  These days, I can, on a good day, touch the bottom of the net.  Two weeks ago a young man, 23 or so, stuffed me.  He was gracious about it, but he nearly shoved the ball down my throat - and he is no taller than I am.  And, the more I run up and down the court the heavier my legs feel. By the end of the night it feels like I am dragging bags of cement around. Something is happening here and we better wake up before gravity does us all in!  One of these days we won't be able to get out of bed.

Wake up world!  Get out and play some basketball with high schoolers.  You will also discover this phenomenon. 


1 comment:

Rich B. said...

Paul, I like your comments - we are not getting older but gravity is increasing.

Just remember, as we find out that we can't do some things we used to be able to -- we must ask ourselves, do we really want to do them?

From a much older person than you -- Rich Broaddus