Monday, May 3, 2010

Happy 50th!!!!!!!!!!!


"Old Blue" (my dad chose the name, not me) was bought brand new by my father in 1960.  I think it cost less than $2000.  There were few amenities - except an AM radio.  He used it as his work truck.  That is, he drove it back and forth to work and he used it around the house to haul everything from dirt to dogs. 

I love driving it and am amazed at how few mechanical issues I have had with it.  The brakes went out last year - that was exciting.  This year the clutch is acting up and I am having some of the slop removed from the steering by replacing a few parts.  Otherwise, it runs like a top, except.  Except it is not the vehicle of choice if you are in a hurry.  I have a motorcycle that chomps at the bit to go, go, go.  Not this truck, it wants you to slow down, take a deep breath, look out the window, relllllaaaaaaaxxxxx. It takes its time warming up and does not like being rushed.  It will break the speed limit, but the groove is about 50.  At that speed it will hum along all day, although it does like gas.  And, the tank is right behind the seat.  Nothing like sitting on a tank of gas running down the road. 

Frankly, I still feel like the truck belongs to Dad.  I am just borrowing it.  His fingerprints are still all over it.  I am grateful for the connection to him.  And, Happy Birthday "Old Blue"! 

No comments: