Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Illinois Earthquake

For the second time in my life I have been awakened by an earthquake.  It happened early this morning, between 4 and 5 o'clock.  There is an unnatural tremor unlike any thing else that accompanies an earthquake.  That bit of anecdotal evidence is the result of being awakened by two earthquakes - take it for what it is worth.  I had always wanted to feel one.  I have come close enough. 

This is especially true when I think of Haiti.  250,000 estimated dead.   Our county only has 14,000 residents.  Champaign county has 196,000; McClean county 170,000.  I cannot,  in my wildest dreams, imagine that many people disppearing from the planet as a result of one catastrophic event.  And yet, it happens with some regularity on our planet.  And, the questions fly.  Why this, why them, why there, why, why, why?  Maybe I should be asking why not here?  Why not me? 

I am not wise enough to pronounce it an act of judgment, although all such occurences are wake up calls for us all.  A tower fell crushing to death several people.  Jesus said they were not worse sinners than those who did not die.  But, all of us better take note.  Life is a vapor.

Two earthquakes, both since coming to Gibson City.  Hmmm. 

No comments: