Friday, August 8, 2008

Eclipsed Forgivness - Sunday Morning Nerves



This is a picture I shot of a lunar eclipse in February of this year. The moon takes on an eery color as the earth's shadow crosses in front of it. This Sunday I am continuing my sermon series on Love and the Family. And, I am a bit nervous about it. The topic is forgiveness and how an unwillingness to forgive casts a shadow over our lives. I'm nervous because forgiveness is difficult. It would be a wonderful concept to discuss provided we have nothing to forgive. And, I am nervous because of the application of the truth of it - not just in the lives of those listening - but in my life. And, I am nervous because it is easy to get wrong - all kinds of weird ideas float around about forgiveness. I don't want to be guilty of perpetuating those ideas. The Bible says some amazing and breath-taking things about what it means to forgive and what it means to experience forgiveness. Anyway, I am nervous about this Sunday morning - and am praying for the Lord's grace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really appreciated your teaching on forgiveness today. Forgiveness has been a large part of my life growing up in a home full of abuse it is one of the first steps I took becoming a Christian. It was hard at first but even though my Mother and Father have never asked for forgiveness or apologized for anything that they have done I forgive them, I love them and continue to show them love in hope that they will some day come to know Christ. So, it is a constant battle of loving them, telling them the truth in love and not getting too close to get hurt again. Forgiveness is something that I feel can never be taught too much and I think you did a great job today. Thank you.