Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Thinking of Sparrows



I love almost anything that flies, except for some insects. My intent with a feeder in my backyard was to attract birds (no surprise there). In particular, I was anxious to see Orioles, Blue Birds, Finches, and a variety of other colorful avian visitors. Every now and then I am honored by a visit from a feathery blossom of color, but for the most part I have sparrows stop by, like the one whose picture I took on my feeder. In partciular, I have the "House Sparrow". The House Sparrow is not indigenious to the U.S. It was brought over from England in the 1800s to help control insects in cities. This turned out to be a bit of a mistake because the population exploded. It is estimated that we currently have 150 million of these little birds calling the U.S. home. If only we could convince them to eat Japanese beetles!
Bird watching is biblical. Jesus said, Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And, Jesus used sparrows as an illustration of the knowledge God has of the mundane details of our lives. He watches us, He knows us, and He is aware of even the smallest details of our lives. Google Earth has nothing on the Lord! I commend to you bird watching. And, if you only see sparrows, they can serve as a reminder of the grace of God watching over your life.
Paul

No comments: