Thursday, August 14, 2008

Moon "X"

The "Werner X" is a bit of an optical illusion that appears on the moon once a month for about two hours. It occurs when sunlight is reflected off of certain ridges on the southern hemisphere of the moon just north of the crater "Werner" - hence the name. If you look closely at the image to the left, you can make it in the center of the photograph. Click on the picture if you have trouble seeing the "X" and you will open a larger version of the same image. This picture was made through my 102mm refractor telescope by my son, Andrew on August 8, 2008. I have also included a picture of the scope. Things above absolutely fascinate me and I am not sure why. They reflect the glory of God. Even the man-made technology that passes overhead shows God's glory - in that it demonstrates the grace of God in giving man intelligence and creativity. (I am not saying all technology is good) This week I observed, in little over an hour, not less than 7 satellites zip by. People probably weary of my talking about astronomy. I understand, but it is such an amazing thing to walk out on a clear night and look up. You don't need a telescope - just a bit of time. To do so helps put things in perspective, it helps you think about your origins, it helps stimulate worship, and it calls for a response. The heavens are declaring something to us if we but listen.

1 comment:

Paul Thomason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.