Friday, November 6, 2009

Frustration!


This week my dear wife fixed pancakes for breakfast. If you were to come to my home for breakfast, I could pretty much tell you what you would have to eat on any given day. Monday is not a good day - it is usually cereal. Tuesday is pancake or french toast day. Wednesday is Waffle Wednesday. Thursday is Egg Sandwich day. Friday is Home-Made Cinamon Roll Friday. Saturday is Biscuits and Gravy. Sunday is bought cinnamon roll day.
On Tuesday, she had fixed pancakes and I wanted syrup on them. Most people do. I made a significant tactical error, however, by waiting to open the bottle of syrup after my pancake was done. It was a new bottle which meant I had to risk my fingers by cutting off a hard plastic seal that covered the bottle cap. The plastic used is wretched stuff, stiff and sharp when taken off. Next, I had to take off the bottle cap which had been screwed onto the bottle by a 600 pound gorilla. The reason I had to take the cap off was to get at a paper and foil seal that covered the top of the bottle that has a little tab that is almost impossible to raise to get the seal off. So, usually I grab a knife and stab the seal to enable me to remove it. I then had to screw the broken cap back on (the flapper on it had broken when I was wrestling with removing it) so I could finally dispense the syrup on my now cold pancake!
Two or three thoughts went through my head. How do elderly people or people with disabilities get their syrup? Secondly, I am beginning to wonder if the producer of the product does not want me using the product. Or, maybe the grocer is afraid of people stealing the syrup out of the bottles while they are sitting on the shelves. No wonder we are all almost incapacitated with fear. Even eating syrup communicates to us that we are embarking on a very risky odyssey. Hanging over the pleasure of a delicious breakfast is the risk of poisoning!
Gone are the days of buying a bottle of syrup, taking it home and pouring onto a warm, buttery pancake. Better safe than sorry? Remember this, if you plan to have syrup on your pancake - be sure and OPEN THE BOTTLE THE DAY BEFORE.

No comments: