Friday, November 6, 2009

Variety of Experiences



Last evening, the "Illini Quarterback Club" hosted Gibson City. The IQBC has been in existence for 68 years. When the football team is away then they have a Thursday evening meal and a live hour long call in radio show. When the team is home then the club hosts a Friday luncheon. They invite different towns to come as guests.

It was a fun evening on several fronts. Participating in the live radio broadcast was exciting. Being there last evening was good because the Illini had won last weekend and everyone was living off of the glow of that victory. Seeing Ron Zook up close (we were 10 feet apart) was pretty cool. The setting was awesome. The event was located in the "Colonnades Club" at Memorial Stadium. It would be really, really nice to watch a football game from there. The food was good and the company entertaining and the conversation interesting. The coach takes questions from the audience both during the live broadcast and during breaks. The questions asked during the breaks tend to be a bit more interesting. He also interacts with folks who call in with comments and questions.

I was a bit out of place. The only orange and blue I own are of a more casual nature. However, I did feel better when I saw that there was at least one other who did not wear orange - Ron Zook. We were dressed pretty much alike!

The whole experience was not one I would necessarily pursue. In the end, however, it was very enjoyable. I continue to be surprised and amazed at the different experiences that come into my life. Riding in a combine, flying in a Cessna 172 to Pontiac for coffee, going fishing at Clinton Lake, watching my son play basketball, teaching my daughter to drive, and on and on it goes. It is humbling and I am grateful.

No comments: