Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Change

Connie, Aaron, and I spent this Thanksgiving in Louisiana. My brother, his wife, and daughter showed us great hospitality. They opened their home and saw to our every need. It was great to spend time with them and we were very appreciative. And, I had a delicious oyster po-boy! Awesome.

But, I must confess, there was a bit of sadness that accompanied the trip. We went down to the home were my brother and I grew up and for the first time in my 51 years, someone else lived there besides my family. It looked different - whose car is that parked in OUR driveway? Who chopped down the bush my mother planted? Why have they not mowed the barnyard? And, there was a visit to the graveyard. I just cannot imagine that both my parents now lie buried in Melder, Louisiana. Places come and go, but parents and family . . .

While we were out riding around, I decided to drop by one of my favorite spots. It is called Hogan's Hole. It was our summer time vacation spot. Hogan's Hole was only five miles or so from my home. As kids, we spent hours and hours there. It was a Redneck Rivera. But, to look at it now, it is not so inviting. It has filled in, the brush has grown up, and someone is now dumping garbage there.


Some changes are good. Edith was married to my dad during the last years of his life. She provided amazing care for him and went far above the call of duty. She served sacrificially and we are indebted to her for it. Now, she has a very nice home at a nice location. She has made new friends and has found a new church. It was good to visit her.

One thing that did not change - it was awesome to get home!

No comments: