Monday, January 18, 2010

Funerals



Two weeks, two funerals, two godly women absent from the body and present with the Lord.  There is a general assumption that funerals are among the hardest things pastors do.  Yes and no.  There are some very, very difficult funerals.  And, each funeral is a reminder that the enemy death still is part of our experience.  We still live with the tension of "Now" and "Not Yet". 

I have done some unusual funerals.  Once, I led a funeral for a pastor who had been leading a funeral and fainted.  As he fell, he struck his head which led to his death.  I used his funeral notes to do his funeral.  I did a funeral for a biker that had a huge processional of Harleys and a party in the graveyard. 

It is an honor to be asked to lead a funeral.  I count it as a high and, in many ways, holy calling to do so.  It is humbling.  The two dear women who recently passed away were both believers who left wonderful legacies to their families.  Here are my points from the funerals, three each, combined as a summary.  1. A Love for God demonstrated in a Love for Others.  2.  Faithfulness in Prayer demonstrated in Praying Always with Thanksgiving. 3.  A Determination that Contentment truly is Possible.  4.  Persistent Faith in the Face of Persistent Suffering.  5.  Refusing to Complain when Complaining appeared Justified.  6.  A Love for Family that Never faded over Time.  All six of these points originated from a deep and abiding faith which came from a relationship with God through Jesus Christ as Savior.

One of these days, I remind myself, someone will be doing my funeral.  I don't think such thinking is morbid.  It is just the sort of reality check all of us should take, especially when we read obituaries or attend a funeral.

No comments: