Monday, August 6, 2012


This is the porch on a cabin near Asheville, N.C.   Connie and I recently met some friends here and visited for a few days - often on this porch.  For me, it was the best part of the cabin.  It was a place to visit, to read, to look out and see the woods around us.

When we moved to Gibson City, my wife had prayed for a house with a porch.  The Lord graciously answered her prayer.  She loves it and I love it.  This summer, it has been a bit hot to sit there during the day.  But, the mornings and evenings on it are nice.

Porches are good for us.  They invite us to leave the confines of our homes and step out.  I will never allow a television on the porch.  We do sometimes listen to some music while sitting there.  Porches help us to see the world around us.  Our neighbors may even get to know us  through the vehicle of the porch.

My dad was a porch sitter.  He especially enjoyed a porch after a rain or late in the afternoon.  Rocking chairs were invented for porches.  So was ice tea.  I hope you are able to enjoy a porch.  If not, you can come and borrow ours some time.

No comments: