Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A New Day


The sun rose on a new day in America today. I am a bit groggy from staying up and watching the election returns and the candidates speeches. I thought that McCain was gracious and Obama eloquent. In some ways, it was a surreal evening. For the first time in my life, we have a president that is younger than I am! The image of an African American basking in the success of his campaign for President is a vision many thought impossible but a few years ago. What is most astounding about the victory of Barack Obama is the meteoric trajectory of his past few years. In my mind it easily eclipses the ascent of Clinton from Hope, Arkansas to the White House. One moment we hear him say, "Hello, I am Barack Obama", and the next we hear "Hello, I am President Obama".

In an earlier time, I had voted for an African American running for president - Alan Keyes. I did not in this election. For me, there is something vaporous about Obama. I cannot get my hands on his substance. He is electrifying, eloquent, energizing, and expressive. But, is he capable? He is the perfect post-modern president. He seems to me to be "Every Man" and that is disconcerting. There are certain issues that drive the way I vote. Abortion, same sex marriage, and the role of the government in our every day lives are among the significant concerns for me.

I think that, as believers, we are compelled by scripture to pray for our president and the leaders of our country. We are called to recognize that regardless of the leadership of the country, our hope and faith are in the Lord. We are called to continue dispersing the gospel and expressing the love of Jesus Christ to the community in which we live. We are called to know the joy of the Lord as our strength. We are called to repent of our sin and grow in our love of Jesus.

Now is not the time for Christians to predict that the sky is falling and we should run for the hills. Now is the time God has called us to let our light shine before men - a city set on a hill. Now is the time for us to be salt bringing flavor to our culture. Now is the time for us to give an answer for the hope that is within us.

I pray that all of our leaders know God's grace, mercy, and strength. That the decisions they make will reflect a sense of concern for that which is honorable, right, and gracious. And, that we see a revival sweep through our churches which results in our faith being energized and animated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this message. I thought your sermon on Sunday was something we all needed to hear (regardless of our feelings about the outcome of the election).