Friday, November 21, 2008

Swwwooooosssshhhh


My youngest son, Aaron, has begun his basketball career. The way my retirement is currently going, it is imperative for him to become a professional. But, he has gotten off to a rather inauspicious start.

Last evening I was on my way home from teaching a seminary class in Champaign. I called home to see how someone from the church was doing (when I left Gibson they were in the emergency room) and to see how his game had gone. Aaron's team had won their first three games. He was getting playing time and was doing pretty well, especially rebounding. His mother put him on the phone and he said to me: "I made a basket"! I was a proud poppa. That's My Boy! My son was an awesome player. He was destined for greatness on the court, his name would be in the papers, and I could retire one day! Then he said, "A kid from the other team missed a shot and I grabbed the rebound. I was fighting for the boards. When I came down with it - no one was guarding me! So, I made a beautiful lay-up and promptly scored 2 points - for the other team! That is right, Dad, I forgot to take the ball down the court and scored 2 for the other team". My wife said the gym was dead silent. No one knew what to say. Our team lost - I was afraid to ask by how much! Thankfully, it was by 7 or 9 points.

Aaron told me his team was pretty good about it. The coach said "It happens". Aaron said he told the coach: "I want labels. One goal labeled 'THEM' and one goal labeled 'US'."

Maybe I better not think too much about retirement. And, I am thankful Aaron could laugh about it, finally. I know how he feels. Sometimes it seems like I score points for the opposition as well. In the end, the Lord is gracious and forgiving. Aaron is going to play again. Maybe basketball is not his sport. Maybe I should get him thinking about football, or golf, or baseball, or water polo!

No comments: