Tuesday, April 13, 2010



An estimated 50,000 years ago a meteorite slammed into earth's surface near Diablo Canyon, New Mexico.  The impact left a crater approximately 4000 feet in diameter and (today) 570 feet deep.  The object which made the crater was an iron-nickel meteorite estimated to have been 54 yards across.  Most of it was vaporized by entry into the atomosphere and the smash into the New Mexican plain.  But, bits of it were scattered about and can still be had.  One of them resides on my desk.  It is about the size of a peach pit, is very heavy, and metallic.  My brother gave it to me as a gift.

Witnessing a "falling star" is an exciting event - at least for me.  Having a piece of one in my possession is quite another story.  I wonder about it - the orginal rock - where did it come from?  How long was it circling through the solar system?  How far had it traveled before ending up in New Mexico? 

Sometimes meteorties actually strike people or houses or cars.  You probably can get insurance for the damages they cause.  People have seen them as signs from above - messengers of judgment or blessing.  I keep mine on my desk as a reminder that the solar system is a big place and that the Lord rules where ever my meteorite piece originated.       

No comments: