Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fireball



Last evening I was out with one of my telescopes.  It was a beautiful evening.  There was very little wind and clear skies.  After 90 minutes or so I was beginning to pack everything up.  Several targets had given me great delight - M3, M13, M81, M82, Saturn, etc.  Suddenly, toward the North and a bit West, there was a very bright flash and a few lesser flashes.  It was a bit disorienting.  I checked the computer and knew it was not weather related.  Perhaps, I thought, this was the big one.  The nukes were dropping and the world as I now knew it was coming to an end.  (you never know!)  It turns out it was a very bright meteor entering the atmosphere somewhere over Wisconsin.  I did not actually see the fireball, my view was blocked by my house, but I did see the consequences.  Keep looking up.  Just when you don't expect it (Him) . . .

No comments: